Thank you for joining me for tonight's peer support network meeting. It was a joy to brainstorm with you about the importance of observation and assessment. Please find resources referenced in the session below:
Promoting flourishing through observation and assessment
Presentation with notes
New Standards for Biblical Learning for Young Learners by Lifeway
Early Learning Standards all 50 states
Developmental Area/Test Name
Developmental Pre-Feeding Checklist*
Functional Independence Measure (WeeFIM)*
Pediatric Evaluation of Disability Inventory (PEDI)/PEDI-CAT*
Scales of Independent Behavior-Revised
Vineland Adaptive Behavior Scales, Third Edition (Vineland-3)
Must be used in conjunction with one of the approved communication tools for evaluation & assessment
Arizona -3 [norm-referenced]
Goldman-Fristoe Test of Articulation [norm-referenced]
Hodson Assessment of Phonological Patterns-3 (HAPP-3) [criterion-referenced for under 3s]
Functional Emotional Assessment Scales (FEAS) [criterion-referenced]
Vineland Adaptive Behavior Scales (VABS) [norm-referenced]
Mac Arthur-Bates Communicative Development Inventories [parent questionnaire]
Pre-School Language Scale (PLS 4 or 5) [norm-referenced]
Receptive Expressive Emergent Language Scale (REEL) [norm-referenced]
Receptive One Word Picture Vocabulary Test [norm-referenced]
Reynell Developmental Language Scales-American Version [norm-referenced]
Rosetti Infant Toddler Language Scale [criterion-referenced]
Sequenced Inventory of Communication Development (SICD) [norm-referenced]
SKI-HI Learning Development Scales (Hearing Impaired 0-3) [curriculum-based]
Test of Early Communication and Emerging Language [norm-referenced]
Assessment Evaluation & Programming System (AEPS) [Curriculum-based, criterion-referenced]
Battelle Developmental Inventory [norm-referenced]
Bayley Scales of Infant Development-3 [norm-referenced]
Brigance Inventory of Early Development III (IED III) [has both criterion and norm-referenced information]
Carolina Curriculum for Infants and Toddlers [criterion-referenced]
Developmental Assessment of Young Children-2 (DAYC-2) [norm-referenced]
Developmental Profile 3 [norm-referenced] (Formally known as the Alpern Boll Developmental Profile II)
Early Learning Accomplishment Profile (ELAP) [criterion-referenced]
Hawaii Early Learning Profile (HELP) [curriculum-based]
Infant Development Inventory (IDI) [parent questionnaire]
INSITE (for visually/multi-sensory impaired) [checklist]
Infant-Toddler Developmental Assessment (IDA) [criterion-referenced]
Mullen Scales of Early Learning (MSEL) [norm-referenced]
Transdisciplinary Play Based Assessment-2 (TPBA-2) [observational assessment]
Conditioning Play Audiometry (CPA)
ELF Early Listening Function - assessment only
Evoked Otoacoustic Emissions (OAE)
Pure tone hearing test, air
Select Picture audiometry
Speech Awareness Thresholds (SAT)
Speech Discrimination Test
Visual Reinforcement Audiometry (VRA)
Alberta Infant Motor Scale [norm-referenced]
Erhardt Developmental Prehension Assessment
Gross Motor Function Measures - use only in conjunction with a tool that provides age equivalents or % delay
Peabody Developmental/Motor Scales-2 [norm-referenced]
Test of Infant Motor Performance (TIMP) [norm-referenced]
Toddler and Infant Motor Evaluation (TIME) [norm-referenced]
Assessments only; use only in conjunction with a tool that provides age equivalents
Infant Toddler Sensory Profile
Sensory Processing Measure -Preschool [SPM-P]
Test of Sensory Functioning in Infants
Achenbach Child Behavior Checklist [norm-referenced]
Carey Temperament Scales - use only in conjunction with a tool that provides age equivalents or % delay
Devereux Early Childhood Assessment for Infants and Toddlers (DECA I/T)/Devereux Early Childhood Assessment - Clinical Form (DECA-C) [norm-referenced]
Early Coping Inventory [observation tool]
Functional Emotional Assessment Scale (FEAS) [criterion-referenced]
Infant-Toddler Social and Emotional Assessment (ITSEA) [norm-referenced]
Parenting Stress Index - Short Form (PSI-SF) - assessment only; use only in conjunction with a tool that provides age equivalents
Temperament & Atypical Behavior Scale (TABS)
Vineland Social Emotional Early Childhood Scale [norm-referenced]
Autism Diagnostic Observation Scale; assessment only
The Oregon Project Global Assessment Tool; assessment only
Sample assessment calendars are attached below.
Have a wonderful school year!
1. Barna, G. (2020). Hettie Brittzon the Stages of Children's Spiritual Development in Guiding Children. https://www.barna.com/childrens-spiritual-development/
2. Bredekamp, S. (2019). Effective practices in early childhood education. (Chapter 11, pp. 343–344, 345–347, 348, 350–352). Upper Saddle River, NJ: Pearson Education.
3. Halasz, S. (2020). Appropriate Faith Development Through the Years. Children's Ministry. https://childrensministry.com/faith-development/
4. "Evangelism Is Most Effective Among Kids." BarnaGroup, 2009. https://www.barna.com/research/evangelism-is-most-effective-among-kids/ (accessed April 22, 2019).
5. "Kids and Salvation Survey." Ministry-To-Children, 2019. https://forms.gle/yz6FkME67Py1qSqf7 (accessed April 22, 2019).
6. Jack P. Shonkoff and others, "The Lifelong Effects of Early Childhood Adversity and Toxic Stress," Pediatrics 129 (1) (2012), available at http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/129/1/e232.full.pdf; Amar Hamoudiand others, "Self-Regulation and Toxic Stress: A Review of Ecological, Biological, and Developmental Studies of Self-Regulation and Stress" (Washington: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, 2015), available at https://www.acf.hhs.gov/sites/default/files/opre/acf_report_2_rev_022415_final_508.pdf; Harvard University Center on the Developing Child, "Tackling Toxic Stress," available at http://developingchild.harvard.edu/science/key-concepts/toxic-stress/tackling-toxic-stress/ (last accessed March 2016); Heather Sandstrom and Sandra Huerta, "The Negative Effects of Instability on Child Development: A Research Synthesis" (Washington: Urban Institute, 2013), available at http://www.urban.org/sites/default/files/alfresco/publication-pdfs/412899-The-Negative-Effects-of-Instability-on-Child-Development-A-Research-Synthesis.PDF; Malik and others, "Child Care Deserts."; Patrice L. Engle and Maureen M. Black, "The Effect of Poverty on Child Development and Educational Outcomes" (San Luis Obispo, CA: California Polytechnic State University; Baltimore: University of Maryland Baltimore, 2008), available at http://digitalcommons.calpoly.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1002&context=psycd_fac; Federal Interagency Forum on Child and Family Statistics, America's Children: Key National Indicators of Well-Being 2002 (U.S. Department of Commerce, 2002), available at https://www.childstats.gov/pdf/ac2002/ac_02.pdf.
7. Ross A. Thompson and Ron Haskins, "Early Stress Gets under the Skin: Promising Initiatives to Help Children Facing ChronicAdversity" (The Future of Children, 2014), available at http://futureofchildren.org/publications/docs/24_01_Policy_Brief.pdf.
8. Karen Schulman and W. Steven Barnett, "The Benefits of Prekindergarten for Middle-Income Children" Policy Report (New Brunswick, NJ: National Institute for Early Education Research, 2005), available at http://nieer.org/policy-issue/policy-report-the-benefits-of-prekindergarten-for-middle-income-children (last access October 2016)
9. Caitlin Mclean and others, "Early Childhood Workforce Index 2020" (Berkeley, CA: Center for the Study of Child Care Employment, University of California, Berkeley, 2021), available at https://cscce.berkeley.edu/workforce-index-2020/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2021/02/Early-Childhood-Workforce-Index-2020.pdf.
10. Leila Schochet, "The Importance of Child Care Safety Protections" (Washington: Center for American Progress, 2017), available at https://americanprogress.org/issues/early-childhood/reports/2017/10/30/441748/the-importance-of-child-care-safety-protections/.
11. Keeley, R. J. (2010). Faith development and faith formation: More than just ages and stages. Lifelong Faith, 20-27.
12. Kennedy, John W. "The 4-14 Window." Christianity Today, 2004, https://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2004/july/37.53
17. "Who is Responsible for Children's Faith Formation." BarnaGroup, March 19, 2019. https://www.barna.com/research/children-faith-formation/ (accessed April 23, 2019).
18. Stetzer, Ed. "Raising Kids in a Confused Culture." EdStezer.com, February 5, 2019, https://edstetzer.com/2018/02/raising-kids-in-a-confused-culture / (accessed April 23, 2019).
19. "Young Bible Readers More Likely to be Faithful Adults." LifeWayResearch, August 17, 2017. https://lifewayresearch.com/2017/10/17/young-bible-readers-more-likely-to-be-faithful-adults-studyfinds / (accessed April 23, 2019).
20. VandeZande, Ann. "How to Share the Gospel with Your Child." Focus on the Family Magazine, June/July 2017. https://www.focusonthefamily.com/parenting/spiritual-growth-for-kids/salvation-leading-yourchild-to-Jesus/how-to-share-the-gospel-with-your-child (accessed April 23, 2019).
21. Spinner, J. (2022, February 10). Developmental milestones just changed for the first time in years. The Washington Post. Retrieved February 16, 2022, from https://www.washingtonpost.com/parenting/2022/02/10/new-developmental-milestones /
22. Leak, G. K., Loucks, A. A., & Bowlin, P. (1999). Development and initial validation of an objective measure of faith development. The International Journal for the Psychology of Religion, 9(2), 105-124.
23. Myers, J. E. (2009). Children's spiritual development: Analysis of program practices and recommendations for early childhood professionals. University of North Texas.
24. Penn, A. (2013). The Christian Education Mandate: Equipping Kingdom Kids to Impact the World for Christ. Penn Consulting.
25. Penn, A. (2019) Purposeful Planner. Penn Consulting.
26. Penn, A. (2019). Purposeful Play: Designing developmentally appropriate learning centers with intention. Penn Consulting.
27. Swaner, L., Marshall, C., & Tesar, S. (2019). Flourishing schools -acsi.org. Flourishing Schools Culture Report. Retrieved December 29, 2021, from https://www.acsi.org/docs/default-source/website-publishing/research/fsci-research-report-2019.pdf?sfvrsn=4718e426_0
28. Tenelshof, J. K., & Furrow, J. L. (2000). The Role of Secure Attachment in Predicting Spiritual Maturity of young learners at a Conservative Seminary. Journal of Psychology and Theology, 28(2), 99–108. https://doi.org/10.1177/009164710002800202
Harms, T., Clifford, R. M., & Cryer, D. (2005). Early childhood environment rating scale. New York, NY: Teachers College Press. Retrieved from http://ers.fpg.unc.edu/ Pianta, R. C., La Paro, K. M., & Hamre, B. K. (2008). Classroom assessment scoring system. Baltimore, MD: Paul H. Brookes Publishing Company, Inc. Retrieved from https://curry.virginia.edu/classroom-assessment-scoringsystem
HighScope Educational Research Foundation. (2017). Preschool program quality assessment. Red-e Set Grow, LLC. Retrieved from https://highscope.org/assessment/program/details
Association of Christian Schools International (ACSI)P.O. Box 62249Colorado Springs, CO 80962(800) 367.5391